Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Humility

We made it! What we thought was going to take us only 8 hours actually took us a little over 10. I was only able to drive for about an hour but as luck would have it, it was blowing snow and there was ice on the road. Marc is exhausted and he is sleeping like a baby. That man is too good to me. So the countdown at this point is 8 hours, let the magic begin. They're going to fix me, right? Isn't that what we came here for?

Anyway, I wanted to talk about the life lesson "humility". As I was raising our family I prided myself on being a fairly decent cook and really used to like to cook. One day right before Jacob's birthday I asked him what he wanted for his birthday dinner and he thought about it for a minute and he said chicken friend steak and my lumpy gravy. I asked him what he meant and he said nobody else's gravy had the big lumps in it like mine, and that's what he liked. At first I was a little taken back and tried to explain to him that gravy wasn't supposed to be lumpy. He didn't care what it was supposed to be or that my gravy was lumpy, he just wanted it because that was what he liked. His favorite meal is still to this day -  chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and lumpy gravy.


Humility is the quality of being humble: modest, not proud, self-abasing. The lesson I learned is that you shouldn't be so proud that you can't make your son lumpy gravy and pretend you do it because that is how he likes it not because it is a mistake.

1 comment:

  1. I found out that you use the grease from the chicken fried steak to make the gravy and it was the pieces of batter left in the grease that makes the lumps. And that gravy is still my favorite.

    ReplyDelete